Saturday, May 31, 2008

Team Preview: Clonan Post 1000

Manager Mike McRorie, Coach Gary Puleo.

Losses: Robbie Castalano, Kyle Ford, Mike Grimaldi, Jacob Henry, Josh LaBarge, Andrew Roemer.
Returning Players: Steven Ball (OF/P), Eddie Constintine (C/P), Ryan Critelli (P/IF), Adam Dee (OF), Brian Gaskell (P/1B), Dominick Masi (P/1B), Tyler Miles (P), Keith Morgan (P), Brandon O’Connor (OF), Gary Puleo II (P/IF), Dan Zayas (OF).
Newcomers: Nick Critelli (IF), Paul Sanders (P), T.J. Chrystie (C).

I just got off the phone with Clonan Post manager Mike McRorie. He will have a new assistant this year in Gary Puleo who will replace Rich Grimaldi. Here's what McRorie had to say about his team's outlook this season:

AD: Looking at your roster, I see that you have a lot of kids coming back from last year. Tell me about that.
MM: I have a very experienced team coming back. I’ve got a lot of three year starters. This year I’m fortunate to have a pretty decent pitching staff. I have eight returning starters. I only lost one kid – Robbie at first base…I’m very excited about this year because of the young talent that we do have and the experience that we have on the team.

AD: What do you like most about this team?
MM: What I like about this team is the individual talent. Most of these kids can play anywhere at any given time. And I’m also very strong at the catching position with Eddie Constintine which is important.

AD: What does your team need to work on the most?
MM: The biggest thing for our team to improve on is team chemistry because I do have kids from different schools…They’ve got to get together and get that chemistry together. If our pitching works out as well as it should, I think we should be right there and make the playoffs and that’s our goal.

AD: Well, you just mentioned the playoffs, is that this team’s ultimate goal?
MM: Absolutely. Since I’ve started coaching here we haven’t made the playoffs. We’ve come close a couple times, but we haven’t quite made it. But I think we can do it this year if our pitching works out.

AD: With Clonan not having very much success in the past few years, how do you go about turning things around? Is it a matter of having a winning attitude?
MM: They have to get a lot of confidence in their ability. Some of these kids are playing at Class D schools going against Class A kids. They have to understand that they can play with these kids.

AD: Who do you see as being the major contenders this year?
MM: I think the three teams that are in it about every single year and are very strong are Smith, Whitestown and New Hartford. They’re always the top teams.

No comments: